Monday 2 April 2012

Austin Powers


These were the greatest movies ever growing up.


I remember watching the first with my friend and his dad at age seven or eight. Us two didn't get all the jokes, but laughed nevertheless and it was great. I know a lot of people really don't like them, and I can't figure out why. I know the characters and premise are kind of silly, but isn't that the idea of a comedy? I mean I'd almost go as far as to say they were the same quality satire as The Simpsons during its peak. But I also tend to say things like Empire Strikes Back being the greatest movie ever made.


Aside from being a riot to watch I've always thought they had extremely good soundtracks and production values. As a designer I've always been in awe of the campy charm of Dr. Evil's quasi-futuristic clothing, or the tin foil-like spacesuits he wore in the second one. Things like the volcano base too were really need - I mean I know they weren't the best but they certainly had something about them that influenced me. 


Later in life I got a lot of great music out of these movies when I rewatched them in high school. Strawberry Alarm Clock, Steppenwolf, etc. I mean they made me like Madonna for christ's sake.


I'm still waiting for a fourth one. But hell I'm also still waiting for a third Wayne's World.

No comments:

Post a Comment